Thought of the Week

  • "Having OCD is like being allergic to life - every waking moment is spent in a state of mental hyper-sensitivity.”

Why am I returning to this blog after so long?

During this next year, this blog will "document" Devin's OCD, and the improvements she makes. In no way is this blog meant to make anyone feel sorry for our trials. We know that trials are merely blessings in wolves' clothing. Because any improvements will be minor and subtle as the days go by, I want to write it all down so that I can look back and see how far Devin has come. If you are a first-time reader, I suggest you begin by reading this post. It will give you some background and show you a starting point. Comments are welcome, but please be kind. This is not an easy illness to deal with. We're all just doing the best we can.

Saturday, February 8, 2014

e, 8, 9

In just 4 days, Devin has conquered her issues with "e", "8", & "9".  We've done one a day for the last 3 days.  This is nothing short of yet another miracle.  Just 2 months ago, I really didn't think this was possible.

I have a gel board that I used when I was teaching that she practices on.  First I hold her hand and write the letter/number, then she writes the letter/number 10 times.  She makes me go into the other room while she does this.  Today I had her do some math problems, with her name at the top so I could be sure that she had them down.  First she returned the paper with the 8s & 9s missing.  I had her go back to the gel board and write them 10 times each.  Then I had her finish the math problems.  And she did it!

She promised me that we'd work on "a" tomorrow.  I just said, "Can we do "a" tomorrow?"  And she said, "Ok."  I'm going to try to do one a day.  At this rate, we might be able to get through all the OCD letters by the end of next week!

It's so nice to feel the hope, to actually believe we're going to beat this.  After the last year of pure desperation, it's so amazing to see that our prayers and faith have made a difference.

And I truly believe that Devin came to our family for a reason, and that she was supposed to be my daughter.  We dealt with fertility issues early in our marriage, and there were times when I wondered if I was meant to be a mother.  But if there's one thing I've learned from this experience, it's that Devin was sent to me.  For a reason.  I really don't think that anyone else could have helped her the way I've been able to help her and understand her like I do.  And my background in education has helped me to teach her when she wasn't able to succeed in school, and fight for her when no one else understood. 

I feel truly blessed as I see God's hand in all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter