It's been a while since I've blogged, so let's see what I can remember.
Devin's been getting dressed, down to the socks and shoes this past month, with a few stumbling blocks. One problem we've encountered is that her socks have "bumpy corners" where the seems begin and end. I thought I had solved that problem by pretending to cut them. Big mistake! She was making me do that every day after I did it once. I was really frustrated, because when she first started wearing these new socks, she said, "It's kinda bumpy, but that's ok, I'll get used to it." Magic to my ears, but it didn't last. So this week I've had to tell her I was only pretending to cut them. Didn't work. Then I told her that I had already cut them all, and if I cut them anymore, they would all have holes. I think this may have worked. Today she didn't make me do it.
Another problem we've had was on Sunday when all her favorite undies were in the laundry. I think this was because I subbed last week and did the laundry early because I wasn't going to be home to do it on Monday. Holy Cow! Complete meltdown! I bought new undies for her about a month ago when I bought her new socks, but so far she hasn't touched them. We're going to have to face that battle soon. I was noticing that her current choice of undies are getting some holes in them. Anyway, I was trying to get her to 9:00 church by myself, since Darin was at a meeting. Jadyn had already decided she was sick enough to stay home (we don't stay home often when we're sick, so I took this to mean she really was sick). I wasn't feeling well, either, but I was going to tough it out since it was Ward Conference. I finally ended up leaving them both home because I didn't want to deal with it anymore. When I left, Devin was on her bedroom floor having her meltdown in the undies I put on her. When I returned, she was naked. I wasn't surprised.
A really good thing happened this week. Devin decided she liked her tennis shoes, and has worn them every day this week, and even tying them herself. I prefer she wear her tennis shoes because her cowboy boots look crazy with sweats and a t-shirt.
We've been working on her brushing her teeth by herself. I had this bright idea that she use an electric toothbrush, since this would help clean her teeth better than her pitiful strokes would. I forgot that it tickles for a while, so we're kinda back to the drawing board as far as that goes. She is doing some of it on her own, such as brushing her tongue and getting her own cup, so that's something.
Did I mention she's been wearing her glasses. So far, that's going well. She does take them off when she's using the computer at school and puts on the headphones to listen (even though she can read perfectly fine). I guess it hurts her ears, so I don't mind. Crazy thing is, she won't put them on when people are around, so she just brings them home. I've also noticed she doesn't seem to want to wear them on weekends. I'm just happy we're getting her to wear them most of the time.
She's always had an aversion to lotions and soaps (those slimy kind of things), so we've sort of decided to pick our battles on that one and just have her wash her hands when she's taking a bath/shower. Well, since we've been doing so well, I've told her that we are all going to wash our hands when we come home from school. I even put a note on the door to remind everyone. She's given me some weak resistance, but I've remained firm about it, so she's cooperated. I've yet to get her to do it herself, though. I squirt it on her hands and then grab her wrists and rub them all around. One funny thing was when Darin got home, he came in and asked me about the note. Then it hit me, I put a note there after he got his transplant to help us remember to wash out hands. I guess it brought back a slightly unpleasant memory. :)
Another thing that happened last night. We had 10 minutes before the girls needed to leave for their activity. Darin was rubbing my feet with lotion (I'm spoiled, I know). Then Devin was messing with the cat cage (Henry gets his shots tomorrow), and took it apart, even after Darin told her not to. So, he got up to swat her butt. She totally freaked out, ran upstairs, and took off all her clothes. It wasn't until bedtime that we figured out it was because he touched her with lotion on his hands. Good grief!!
School has been going well. Except she's been getting into trouble lately. First, she got caught climbing the bathroom stalls and giving her friend instructions on how to do it. Then she got mad at another teacher that took away her ruler, so she wrote that teacher a hate note. I had her write apologies to both teachers.
The good thing is that she's been able to communicate with her teacher by writing her notes. The bad thing is that this medication seems to be loosening her inhibitions.
The other day, she just walked out of class without permission (I told her she could do that when she needed to go to the bathroom). She was gone for about 10 minutes when the teacher sent another student to get her from the bathroom. The student couldn't find her, so the teacher went to look. I imagine this scared the teacher, so she had the office call for her. They found her sitting on the couch by the office. When asked why, she just wrote on a note, "Leave me alone, Now!" Oh, boy.
A couple of Saturdays ago, Darin, Jadyn, and Devin were going to go for a bike ride. Before Darin and Jadyn were ready, Devin took off. I had fallen asleep on the couch, and when Darin came in to tell me he was going to take the truck to go look for her, I said ok and went back to sleep. Then I woke up and realized what he had said. I got in my car and left Jadyn with a cell phone in case she came back. After 40 minutes of both of us looking in separate vehicles, I finally found her (after saying a prayer) sitting small and scared by the church door. I almost didn't even see her, and Darin said he had looked there and didn't see her. I had a little talk with her and told her how scared that made us. I also reminded her that I didn't like her crossing main street by herself. Her response: "They waited for me." I'm thinking, "Yeah, one car waited for you, but that doesn't mean the other lane will see you and wait."
We've seen some progress the last few weeks, but we've also had some challenges. I don't know why it makes me feel so bad when i get an email from her teacher. After subbing, I know there are a lot worse behaviors out there. :$
Weekly Scripture Kits Tutorial Videos
2 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment