Thought of the Week

  • "Having OCD is like being allergic to life - every waking moment is spent in a state of mental hyper-sensitivity.”

Why am I returning to this blog after so long?

During this next year, this blog will "document" Devin's OCD, and the improvements she makes. In no way is this blog meant to make anyone feel sorry for our trials. We know that trials are merely blessings in wolves' clothing. Because any improvements will be minor and subtle as the days go by, I want to write it all down so that I can look back and see how far Devin has come. If you are a first-time reader, I suggest you begin by reading this post. It will give you some background and show you a starting point. Comments are welcome, but please be kind. This is not an easy illness to deal with. We're all just doing the best we can.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Allergies!

Want to know just how big of a freak I am? Well, tonight when I went to see my allergy specialist, he said that I am in the top 5% of the worst allergy sufferers ever! That, he clarified, was not just the top 5% of the population, but the top 5% of all allergy sufferers ever. So in essence, I am the worst of the worst. Yeah, they could do clinical studies on me.

I have been getting allergy shots for 9 years now. He wants me to try another year and get a scratch test in a year. I've already had two. At least this time around. I also had this done when I was a kid. Here's just an example: 9 years ago, cats gave me 4+ "orange peel" (where your skin swells up around the pores and looks like an orange peel--the worst you can get) after just a few minutes. 4 years ago, cats gave me 3+ after 20 minutes. So, it is working, he assured me. I didn't feel that way when I went to visit my mom last week, but ok. The data shows it's working. I'll buck up. I was all ready to quit today, but I'll give it another year.

He also said I'm getting some of the strongest serum made. Yeah, some people can't handle 100th of what I'm getting. So I guess I should be grateful. I am. I'm glad I live in this day and age when they have the medicine and technology to help me!!! 30 years ago, when I went through this for three years, it wasn't even as good.

BUT, he is reducing my asthma control medicine. When I went in 9 years ago, I was breathing at 70%. Now I'm at 93%. And I almost never need a rescue inhaler anymore. Yay to good health!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter