Thought of the Week

  • "Having OCD is like being allergic to life - every waking moment is spent in a state of mental hyper-sensitivity.”

Why am I returning to this blog after so long?

During this next year, this blog will "document" Devin's OCD, and the improvements she makes. In no way is this blog meant to make anyone feel sorry for our trials. We know that trials are merely blessings in wolves' clothing. Because any improvements will be minor and subtle as the days go by, I want to write it all down so that I can look back and see how far Devin has come. If you are a first-time reader, I suggest you begin by reading this post. It will give you some background and show you a starting point. Comments are welcome, but please be kind. This is not an easy illness to deal with. We're all just doing the best we can.

Friday, November 1, 2013

Halloween. Candy.

Warning:  Diarrhea talk today.

So you all know Devin likes chocolate.  A lot.  Ok, so do I.  A lot.  Only I'm an adult, and I know (mostly) when to stop.  On Halloween, we let the girls eat as much as they want.

Last year, Devin threw up in the night. Darin and I got up and cleaned it all up and put Devin back to bed. 

I am extremely lucky to have a husband who is willing to get up in the night and help with these kinds of things.  He understands that once I'm up and moving, it takes me hours to get back to sleep.  So when a kid cries out for covers or a drink of water, he's usually the one to take care of it.  If a kid's sick, we both get up.

Last night, Devin got diarrhea.  Ok, full disclosure.  My kids take after that apparent Storey trait (that I did not inherit, by the way), and take a while to get "night-time trained".  So, Devin uses a diaper at night.

Side note:  The doctor explained to us once that there is a hormone that kids develop over time that turns off the pee machine at night.  For some kids it just takes a little longer.

Anyway, back to the diarrhea.  Who do you think got to clean it up?  Yep, this girl.  Because I'm the official butt wiper.  THANKFULLY, it was contained in her diaper, but some did stick to her butt, and it smelled horrendous!  Chocolate the second time around is bad!  Very bad!

Unfortunately, I was up for I'd say about 3 hours.  Devin came into our bed for several hours, and then she started grinding her teeth, which drives me crazy.  She finally went to her own bed at 4am.  Gonna need a nap today for sure!

She's sitting on the toilet as I write this.  I guess I'd better get off and go help her.  She'd sit there for hours if I let her.  

1 comment:

  1. By the way, medicine went pretty smoothly today. I grabbed a small piece of chocolate to reward her with, only to find that Darin had already promised her one, and she was holding it. She said, "That's ok, I can have two." :) We used less applesauce to mix it in so that it would go quicker, and had the water at the ready.

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter