Thought of the Week

  • "Having OCD is like being allergic to life - every waking moment is spent in a state of mental hyper-sensitivity.”

Why am I returning to this blog after so long?

During this next year, this blog will "document" Devin's OCD, and the improvements she makes. In no way is this blog meant to make anyone feel sorry for our trials. We know that trials are merely blessings in wolves' clothing. Because any improvements will be minor and subtle as the days go by, I want to write it all down so that I can look back and see how far Devin has come. If you are a first-time reader, I suggest you begin by reading this post. It will give you some background and show you a starting point. Comments are welcome, but please be kind. This is not an easy illness to deal with. We're all just doing the best we can.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

To Redeem or Not to Redeem

I have been giving some thought to service this week. We had our yearly fundraiser for the YW this month. Generally what they do is have ward members donate their time, talents and goods and have a silent auction.

In the past, we have donated goods. They always sold.

This year, we donated 3 pie tins of cinnamon rolls, which were all bought. One very nice man told me that they were good. I also donated a food storage tutoring, which could be anything from learning how to make bread to using beans or wheat. As far as I know, no one bought this. That's fine. I'd actually do it for free if anyone was ever interested.

Last year we donated dinners. Meaning that people pay to come have dinner with us.
One was redeemed, one was not.

After having a facebook conversation with someone (who was not actually the person I addressed), I realized that some people just do not realize how hurtful and insulting it can feel to donate something and, though the donation was bought, not have it redeemed. The thought is, "It's all good. It's for the girls." Well, of course it is for the girls. BUT, then the donator is denied the opportunity to serve and receive the blessings that come from it. The buyer donates the money, but the donator donates time. When that time is not redeemed, nothing is donated. No service is given. No blessings received. Maybe for the thought, but not for the action.

2 comments:

  1. I think sometimes people just completely forget that they even went and won items or service at the auction.
    Personally I am a little upset at the fact that everyone supports the YW enough to donate plenty, and I mean plenty of money for their fundraiser, but yet the YM are still struggling to make enough money to cover their camp. Sis Wald. said the girls made well over $1000 and yet the boys have made maybe only half of that. I just find it sad.
    And I did consider your food storage lesson, but food is just not my thing, even for storage. I know I should be more involved, but I just cant stand working with food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm perfectly fine with people not buying my service, as long as it doesn't turn into a popularity contest, which I think it has become. If people don't intend to use what they buy, they probably shouldn't buy it.

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter