Thought of the Week

  • "Having OCD is like being allergic to life - every waking moment is spent in a state of mental hyper-sensitivity.”

Why am I returning to this blog after so long?

During this next year, this blog will "document" Devin's OCD, and the improvements she makes. In no way is this blog meant to make anyone feel sorry for our trials. We know that trials are merely blessings in wolves' clothing. Because any improvements will be minor and subtle as the days go by, I want to write it all down so that I can look back and see how far Devin has come. If you are a first-time reader, I suggest you begin by reading this post. It will give you some background and show you a starting point. Comments are welcome, but please be kind. This is not an easy illness to deal with. We're all just doing the best we can.

Monday, February 23, 2009

Testing

One major part of my job as the ALP (Alternative Language Program) Lead at my school is to test ESL kids. We are 50% English Language Learners. For the past month, I've been testing ESL kids. It's a No Child Left Behind test. Thank you Pres. Bush. Wednesday is my 1/2 deadline, but I have to get as many done by Wednesday as possible so that we can get their test scores back for next year's registration. There are more than 400 students, and there are 4 parts to the test: speaking, listening, reading and writing. Needless to say, this has been very stressful and exhausting. I have to read the speaking and listening parts, which takes about 45 minutes. The speaking part has to be done individually, so it has taken a lot of time. It also has to be spread out over two days, about 45 minutes each day. I am anticipating tomorrow to be my last stressful day, and I'm excited. After that, it should be a breeze. I will only have about 35 more kids to test, not including new students (we get several a week). Most schools have several people testing, but my principal is so incompetent that he forgot to arrange for others to be trained to test. I'm just glad that it's almost over!

1 comment:

  1. I sure don't envy you. I teach ESL in Japan and over here it's mostly edutainment with now substance.

    Bill
    naruhodo-eigo.com

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter