Thought of the Week

  • "Having OCD is like being allergic to life - every waking moment is spent in a state of mental hyper-sensitivity.”

Why am I returning to this blog after so long?

During this next year, this blog will "document" Devin's OCD, and the improvements she makes. In no way is this blog meant to make anyone feel sorry for our trials. We know that trials are merely blessings in wolves' clothing. Because any improvements will be minor and subtle as the days go by, I want to write it all down so that I can look back and see how far Devin has come. If you are a first-time reader, I suggest you begin by reading this post. It will give you some background and show you a starting point. Comments are welcome, but please be kind. This is not an easy illness to deal with. We're all just doing the best we can.

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Update & Halloween

The kids had lot of fun for Halloween. Jadyn wanted to be a witch, so we dressed both girls up as witches. They were very cute. Jadyn wore an outfit that my mom made for me when I was little. I'll post some pictures soon. Darin had chemo the three days before Halloween, so he just stayed home and rested and passed out candy. We were only gone for about an hour, and when we got home, Jadyn had fun putting candy in the kids' bags.

The following Tuesday, Darin called from work and told me he was driving himself to the hospital, he felt really crappy, and had a fever of 101.1. If you are on chemo, you're supposed to go in if it's over 100.3. So I called Grandma and asked her if she could watch the kids later, and then I met Darin by the mall and drove him to the hospital. They kept him over night, and the next day he seemed much better, so I went and picked him up. I had asked some neighbors if they could go pick up Darin's truck for us, so it was home waiting for him when he got home.

Thursday was his last day of work, and Friday he started going in at 7am for a shot and lab work. I have been giving him his shots since last Sunday. This medicine makes the stem cells leave the bone marrow and go into the bloodstream. This morning Darin went in for stem cell collection. It seems that his white blood cell count went from 3 to 19 overnight. This is very good news, and a doctor said that they might be able to collect all of it in one day. But we still won't know unit tomorrow morning when they do the lab work again at 7 am. His red blood cells are still low, and they are, at this very moment, giving him a blood transfusion.

The transplant is only days away. So that's the update.

We celebrated Devin's 3rd birthday last night with some of my family. It was lots of fun, and Devin loved all of her gifts. Her birthday is on the 17th, but we expect Darin to be in the hospital still, so we had it early.

1 comment:

  1. Your family is in our prayer's! We hope all goes well and Darin can get feeling better quick!

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter