Thought of the Week

  • "Having OCD is like being allergic to life - every waking moment is spent in a state of mental hyper-sensitivity.”

Why am I returning to this blog after so long?

During this next year, this blog will "document" Devin's OCD, and the improvements she makes. In no way is this blog meant to make anyone feel sorry for our trials. We know that trials are merely blessings in wolves' clothing. Because any improvements will be minor and subtle as the days go by, I want to write it all down so that I can look back and see how far Devin has come. If you are a first-time reader, I suggest you begin by reading this post. It will give you some background and show you a starting point. Comments are welcome, but please be kind. This is not an easy illness to deal with. We're all just doing the best we can.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Doctors and More Doctors

So, You all know by now that Darin has Lymphoma again. Non Hodgkin's Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma, to be specific, for those who want to google it. Darin starts chemo tomorrow. He will be there all day and then we come home, only to go back bright and early Saturday morning and come back late Sunday. Thank goodness for Grandma and Jessica, helping us out with babysitting so much. Darin will go back in two weeks, and then again in two weeks, and again in two weeks. After the third infusion, they will take some stem cells and freeze them. The forth infusion will be a very high dose of chemo, which will kill his bone marrow and all his immunity, and hopefully, all the cancer cells. Then they will give him a bone marrow transplant with his own stem cells. They call this Autologous Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Transplantation. Boy the things I am learning! This is all provided everything goes as planned, and we hope it will.

We had doctor appointments Monday and Tuesday. Darin had a bone marrow test on Tuesday, and this was the technitian's first time doing it, so they had to shove the needle into his bone about 5 times... I'm not sure, I lost track. One of the guys saw me watching a little too intently, and kept me talking a lot. He told us stories of all the times he made his science teacher cry. I felt really bad for Darin, though. Last time they had to try twice, and I thought that was bad. This didn't even compare.

At home, let's see, what's been going on?

Devin had lice 12 days ago. I never want to go through that again!

Jadyn came to me a few days ago, showing me that she has a tooth growing behind her front bottom baby teeth. Holy cow! I think we're going to need to take her to a psychologist to work out all this nervousness! To make her feel better, I called Aunt Katie (the dentist), and she said that she just needs to wiggle it and when the baby tooth falls out, her tongue should straighten the tooth out. So I checked the tooth this afternoon, and sure enough, it's wiggling. Jadyn will barely let me touch it. Apparently Jessica's neighbor boy told her that Jessica yanked Austin's tooth out, so she's afraid we'll try to be sneaky and do this to her. I had to explain that losing her tooth just means she's getting to be a big girl, and that Katie said it's ok to wiggle it. She said that she couldn't wiggle it all day long, so I told her she just had to wiggle it once in a while. She still doesn't believe me much.... Shoot, she's lucky, there's already a tooth there to replace it.

On top of all this, we've had parent-teacher conferences this week, so we haven't been home much.

3 comments:

  1. I hope all goes well for Darins Chemo. You sound positive which is great to hear. You guys have been through a lot. Jayden is too funny. Most kids think its cool to lose teeth. How did Devin get Lice? What did you do to get rid of it?

    Thanks for keeping me up to date on what going on in your home. I have been such a slacker. I'm exhausted all the time. I feel bigger than I was with Caden. I had a doctors appointment yesterday and everything looked good. They are going to do an ultrasound in two weeks to check my fluids to make sure this baby has room. Caden is a handful. Lately he only wants me to help him get a drink or a snack, its getting to be to much for me.

    I miss and love you guys.

    Brisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too funny about Jadyn and the tooth! I had no idea that our neighbor boy told her I pulled Austin's teeth out! Poor kid! I promise not to tease her about it. No sense in causing her more drama!

    Any time you need help with the girls we are here for you! We pray that all goes well for Darin and you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brisa,

    To get rid of the lice was quite an ordeal. We got some medicated shampoo. We all used it. We washed Devin's hair 3 times, Katherine's and Jadyn's hair twice, and mine once. We washed almost everything in the house that would fit into the washing machine in hot water (some many times) risking shrinking and bleeding clothes, changed the sheets almost everyday for several days, and put all stuffed animals and hair accessories in garbage bags for 2 weeks, and soaked hair brushes in bleach for one hour. We also had to vacuum the entire house and spray the couches, chairs and beds with medicated spray. It was not fun. We're glad to hear that you're doing well. We can't wait to see you guys. Darin

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter