Thought of the Week

  • "Having OCD is like being allergic to life - every waking moment is spent in a state of mental hyper-sensitivity.”

Why am I returning to this blog after so long?

During this next year, this blog will "document" Devin's OCD, and the improvements she makes. In no way is this blog meant to make anyone feel sorry for our trials. We know that trials are merely blessings in wolves' clothing. Because any improvements will be minor and subtle as the days go by, I want to write it all down so that I can look back and see how far Devin has come. If you are a first-time reader, I suggest you begin by reading this post. It will give you some background and show you a starting point. Comments are welcome, but please be kind. This is not an easy illness to deal with. We're all just doing the best we can.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Soap

One of Devin's sensory issues deals with certain smells.  Specifically, the kinds that Jadyn and I like.  She does not like my Bath and Body foaming soaps, so she avoids me like the plague after I go to the bathroom.  You would think it's because I went to the bathroom. Nope.  It's because I washed my hands.  With that yucky, smelly stuff.

I used to go when she wasn't looking, but she got wise and it started creating some trust issues.  Last week she started showing up in the bathroom doorway.  Hello!  This week, she's been accusing me every time I go in my bedroom. 

Today, it came to a boil.  Meaning I lost my cool.  Yes.  Yes, I did.

She wouldn't even touch the math assignment after I did.  So I went and rubbed my hands on her butt.  Yeah, rubbed them.  She freaked out and jumped in the tub.

I had a talk with her and asked her if she thought the water was going to wash the yucky, smelly soap off of her that I contaminated her with.  She said yes, with the bar soap.  So I said wouldn't that work for me as well?  She said yes, so I agreed to only use the bar soap if she would stop treating me like I had leprosy. 

A small victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter