I'm starting a new approach to my scripture study. I've started a year long study of the standard works. I know, it seems like a lot to do. But, before you decide it's not for you, let me say a few things about how it works for me.
1. It only adds on average 20 minutes to my regular study of the scriptures and the Ensign, which usually occurs while I'm on my stationary bike every morning for 65 minutes. During this time, I have often spent a lot of time on facebook or pinterest, so I'm just replacing wasted time with productive things.
2. I taught Gospel Doctrine for almost 6 years, and Gospel Essentials for more than 3. I have had many, many years of deep study. More than the average person, I would dare suggest. (I know, I know, I'm so daring!) One thing I learned is that it's very beneficial to read two of the standard works in conjunction. Much can be learned that way. Even deep study can occur, if you approach it the right way. Also, we are expected to read the B of M every year, in addition to whatever other work we are studying each year. It's not that much more.
3. I am not cramming in a lot of information into a small period of time. There is more than enough time in my life to do this and still have meaningful study.
4. I have been reading with a specific purpose each morning. After a prayer, I have been looking for a personal application to write in my scripture journal, giving me a focus to each day.
Some people do crafts. That's not really my thing. Reading and studying the gospel is my thing. I was given specific revelation very young that I must study the gospel well. This is how I choose to do it this year. It's not an every-year kind of thing, obviously. But it is something I think most people would find beneficial at least once in their lifetime.
Weekly Scripture Kits Tutorial Videos
2 years ago



I think it's amazing! I know you can do it. I looked over the list you posted (facebook, I think?!) and realized that this year is not the year for me. I know there will be many people who will be blessed by your studying in addition to you.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOk, so I removed the last comment, because I was embarrassed to have any of you reading my scripture journal blog, but I'll be brave, and if any of you really want to read it, let me know.
ReplyDelete