Thought of the Week

  • "Having OCD is like being allergic to life - every waking moment is spent in a state of mental hyper-sensitivity.”

Why am I returning to this blog after so long?

During this next year, this blog will "document" Devin's OCD, and the improvements she makes. In no way is this blog meant to make anyone feel sorry for our trials. We know that trials are merely blessings in wolves' clothing. Because any improvements will be minor and subtle as the days go by, I want to write it all down so that I can look back and see how far Devin has come. If you are a first-time reader, I suggest you begin by reading this post. It will give you some background and show you a starting point. Comments are welcome, but please be kind. This is not an easy illness to deal with. We're all just doing the best we can.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Who Are These People?

Pilate

Although the Jews were in bondage to the Romans, it was Roman practice to allow their subjects to live their own cultures and religion. Rome didn’t make them stop being Jews—they just made them pay taxes. Caesar would appoint governors over his various lands to collect taxes and keep order and would send Roman military to enforce and keep order. Pilate was Caesar’s governor over Israel.

Although Pilate spent most of his time in the coast of Israel, he traveled to Jerusalem for important Jewish festivals such as Passover in order to keep order there. He was reported to be a cruel man and he disliked the Jews.

During this particular Passover, Jesus is being tried and arrested. The Jewish leaders wanted to put Christ to death, but according to Roman Law, they didn’t have the power to do this—only Pilate could determine such a verdict. The Jewish leaders had accused Jesus of BLASPHEMY because he said he was the Messiah—however Pilate, who believed in multiple Gods, wouldn’t have been bothered by this—so the Jews would change the charge to saying that Jesus called himself a King—which would charge him with TREASON against Caesar.

Caiaphas

Joseph Caiaphas was the official high priest of Jerusalem who sent Jesus to Pilate for his execution. There is only one High Priest and he carries many responsibilities, including controlling the Temple treasury, managing the Temple police and other personnel, performing religious rituals, and serving as president of the Sanhedrin, the Jewish council and court that considered the case of Jesus. Caiaphas’ father-in-law is Annas—the former High Priest. Caiaphas is rumored to be Annas’ puppet.

Jesus became very popular when He raised Lazarus from the dead. This made Annas and Caiaphas jealous and nervous. They called a meeting of the Sanhedrin, which was the supreme Jewish ruling counsel to find a way to eliminate Jesus.

Annas

The Jews recongnized but one high priest, who held his office for life, but Annas was removed from the office by the Roman governor, Pilate, and his son-in-law, Caiaphas, appointed in his place . Hence, both were called high priests at the same time.

This ex-high priest was known to manipulate the ruling High Priest. The power behind the throne. History describes him as a man who was hated by the common people and possessed with an unscrupulous lust for power. Annas was determined to destroy Christ because of His assault on the market in the court of the Temple. Much wealth flowed into his hands from that polluted activity. Jesus’ popularity threatened his power and wealth.

The Sanhedrin

This is the Jewish Supreme Court—the Senate and the highest Jewish court in both civil and religious matters. Its President was the High Priest—Caiaphas (ad formerly Annas). They regulated the affairs over the Jewish nation and was the only group who had the power to put the king to trial. They were very powerful.


Herod Agrippa, King of the Jews

The Romans allowed a Jewish king over Israel in the form of Herod Agrippa. He was anxious to be referred to as a righteous Jew, but has a long history of wicked acts. When the Sanhedrin took Jesus to Pilate, Pilate quickly sent Jesus to Herod, hoping that Herod would take care of the problem.

When Herod saw Jesus, he was greatly pleased, because for a long time he had been wanting to see him. From what he had heard about him, he hoped to see him perform some miracle. He plied him with many questions, but Jesus gave him no answer.

The chief priests and the teachers of the law were standing there, vehemently accusing him. Then Herod and his soldiers ridiculed and mocked him. Dressing him in an elegant robe, they sent him back to Pilate. That day Herod and Pilate became friends—before this day they had been enemies.

This is the second time a man of God stood before Herod. Three years before this, Herod had a big birthday party. In the heat of lust and wine, when his niece finished dancing in front of him he promised her anything she wanted. Her wicked mother told her to ask for the head of John the Baptist. John had fearlessly stood before Herod and Herodias and condemned their fornication. People in power do not like to be confronted with their sin.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, and introducing us to The Red Headed Hosetess. I love her blog! And I also love your new title and description.:D Sometimes people forget that these blogs are our own personal blogs where we put our feelings or thoughts down. And we shouldnt be critisized for what we put on here. (I know, I know you didnt ask my opinion, but thank you.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could tell you a story that, well lets just say some of the people in our ward dont talk to me anymore or treat me like dirt because of it. Out of respect for the other person involved, I wont/cant tell you . I have only spoken to my husband, my mom, and one other person about it. But the other person involved ripped me a new one and no matter what I do, this person still treats me like crap, as well as their friends. They cant even approach me to talk to someone that is talking to me too. Its sad really. But I have had confirmation from the Lord that for the most part, what I did was the right thing to do and if that person wants to be the way they are, thats their problem.
    It all goes back to everyone having their own opinions and they think that theirs needs to be pushed onto whomever. I too get cranky about the whole tolerance thing, as well as the charity. Although I am probably not the best person to talk about charity.
    Chin up Katherine. I love when you share things on YOUR blog and YOUR facebook page. In most cases it helps me to remember the teachings of the Savior. And to think positive. Plus I love hearing how your family is doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, now that I'm over my tantrum, I've deleted what I wrote before. Thanks for listening, Stacie. You are a good friend!

    I really like the Red Headed Hostess. She has a lot of good ideas for scripture study. She has an Easter packet (which is where this came from) that I started working on. Really good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad I could help. :D Sometimes we just need someone to talk to about it to help us feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really sad, and pathetic that "sisters in Zion" can act that way.

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter