Thought of the Week

  • "Having OCD is like being allergic to life - every waking moment is spent in a state of mental hyper-sensitivity.”

Why am I returning to this blog after so long?

During this next year, this blog will "document" Devin's OCD, and the improvements she makes. In no way is this blog meant to make anyone feel sorry for our trials. We know that trials are merely blessings in wolves' clothing. Because any improvements will be minor and subtle as the days go by, I want to write it all down so that I can look back and see how far Devin has come. If you are a first-time reader, I suggest you begin by reading this post. It will give you some background and show you a starting point. Comments are welcome, but please be kind. This is not an easy illness to deal with. We're all just doing the best we can.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Hermit

So, is it a requirement that in order to be considered a part of Relief Society, you have to go to and/or host a party? Any will do. Cookie Lee. Pampered Chef. Tupperware. Lia Sofia. Shoes. Clothes. Hair bows. Purses. Where does it end?

All of those are great, but not if you are dirt poor. They are so rampant that it seems like that's the only kind of socializing allowed in our neighborhood. And being dirt poor, guess what. I don't go. So I don't socialize anymore.

So, for any of you who may have invited me to a party, sorry, I'm too poor. Come on over and have some Raman noodle for lunch with me.

3 comments:

  1. Seeing as how my party invite was probably the last one you got, I thought I'd comment. Two things. I am having this party as a favor to Matt's cousin. I told her upfront that the ladies I know are completely overwhelmed with home parties and I didn't want to burden anyone. I also often feel like there are too many of these events and expectations to spend money. Neither of us have any expectations on attendance or spending. If I ever do have a party I am being completely honest when I say I don't want anyone to feel obligated to either come or spend money. If you want to come just to socialize and have a treat, I'm more than OK with that. Secondly, I feel like it's a pretty fine line between people feeling left out when you don't invite them, or feeling irritated when they are invited, which can make things difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, Lisel, I knew I could count on you! :) I love Lia Sofia, and I would totally be there, if we had money to spend.

    I understand wanting to help friends/family out in their business. I have only had 3 credit card parties in my life-- two were to help out my awesome friend, Lois. One was because I wanted to buy Pampered Chef. In all three cases, I was only concerned with feeding everyone treats! :) I prefer BBQ's and dinner parties.

    As an invitee, I wouldn't feel comfortable going unless I was planning on buying something. That's just me.

    You are right, though. People may feel left out if not invited. My irritation (if you could call it that)comes only from lack of money, not at being invited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I feel that it is sad that most of the time this is where we do get our socilizing. I one of those that only goes to say hi. Occasionally I will buy something. Matt and I have a deal that I am not allowed to host any of these parties where people are suppose to see a product and then purchase if they want. Just a rule we have. I dont mind it, sometimes I feel like its too much of a hassle anyways. I would rather have people over to say hi and just talk. Probably the reasons why I usually try and do a craft party or something. If I didnt have to work all day, I would come visit you Katherine for lunch, just to say hi and maybe learn a few things about food storage or cooking. :)

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter