"Are we making judgments when we don't have all the facts.... There is really no way we can know the heart, the intentions, or the circumstances of someone who might say or do something we find reason to criticize.?" Recently I posted some thoughts that touched on this. We are all guilty of this. It's something that is so easy to see in other people, but perhaps not so easy to see in ourselves. I'm very thankful that we could re-visit this talk so that I could be reminded of this.
James 1:27, "If any... among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's [or woman's] religion is in vain." I am making it my new goal to avoid gossip. In my new calling, I've had several people tell me things about other people that I've felt very uncomfortable hearing. There are too many loose lips lately, and I think it would be nice if people treated personal matters more confidentially.
"I have in mind the charity that impels us to be sympathetic, compassionate, and merciful, not only in times of sickness and affliction and distress but also in times of weakness and error, on the part of others." I love this statement. I think it is so important to love people in spite of their weaknesses. We don't only love people when they are going through their trials, but in every day life, they we show us their weaknesses. And,we need to love others even if they are not behaving how we wish they would.
"There is a serious need for the charity that gives attention to those who are unnoticed, hope to those who are discouraged, aid to those who are afflicted. True charity is love in action. The need for charity is everywhere." I love this statement, as well! That is our job! Nothing else matters! We must help those who are sad, lonely, hurt, and not judge people for sitting alone or saying that they feel bad.
"Charity is:
- having patience with someone who has let us down.
- resisting the impulse to become offended easily.
- accepting weaknesses and shortcomings.
- accepting people as they truly are.
- looking beyond the physical appearances.
- resisting the impulse to categorize others.
It makes me think of Mosiah 4:27, "And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. Ad again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order." While that is a lot to work on, I must be diligent so that I might win the prize, charity. I must take it one step at a time.
I must make special note that if someone is offended, we should not judge them and think that they are in the wrong for being offended. Again, "we don't have all the facts" to make that call. Let's worry more about our own behavior.



No comments:
Post a Comment