Thought of the Week

  • "Having OCD is like being allergic to life - every waking moment is spent in a state of mental hyper-sensitivity.”

Why am I returning to this blog after so long?

During this next year, this blog will "document" Devin's OCD, and the improvements she makes. In no way is this blog meant to make anyone feel sorry for our trials. We know that trials are merely blessings in wolves' clothing. Because any improvements will be minor and subtle as the days go by, I want to write it all down so that I can look back and see how far Devin has come. If you are a first-time reader, I suggest you begin by reading this post. It will give you some background and show you a starting point. Comments are welcome, but please be kind. This is not an easy illness to deal with. We're all just doing the best we can.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Food Storage Challenge Day 1

Our family has decided to take the 2 -week Food Storage Challenge. Our stake is challenging willing participants to live off their food storage for 2 weeks, without going to the store. Mostly we feel like we are ready for it, but it looks like our first problem will be milk. We are a 5-gallon-a-week family. We only have 4 right now. Consequently, we made some powdered milk this afternoon, and Darin and I are going to try drinking that and let the kids drink the regular milk. I am not a fan of powdered milk, so I think I will be adding some strawberry Nesquick (sp?) to mine. Lucky we've had that for a few years, and it needs to get used up. If it doesn't work out, does anybody have a cow?

By the way, we had white chili for dinner with homemade rolls. Excellent!

5 comments:

  1. I mixed our store milk with 1/2 powdered milk and no one ever even noticed! Think I am going to start that again. I do it after everyone is in bed or really early in the morning so they don't know. When I told Tom and the girls a few years ago I was doing it they all told me that they thought something was funny. Funny though, they NEVER complained.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're doing it too :) I'm excited but a little nervous. Anya is super gung-ho about it though and she's the one that really pushed it and wants us to do it. I'm nervous about milk, eggs, and bread. I was all set to do my shopping tomorrow and had pulled my last loaf of bread from the freezer on Friday! I hope I have some yeast hidden away somewhere. I think it might be time to try homemade bread again. I can't wait to hear how your 2 weeks go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, Stephanie! I tried it today, and no one was the wiser. I didn't even mind drinking it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang, I forgot about yeast! I was just worrying about bread but a little excited to use my new wheat grinder and make it homemade. I'll also have to try mixing the milk. I'm definitely no pro at this, so I'll be looking at your recipes a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving that you guys are participating in this. Probably about 12-14 years ago Reno, NV had a lot of flooding and the truck that supplies our grocery store couldn't get here (we only have one and we are 2 hours from the nearest store) and the store ran out of milk for a couple of days! Glad you ladies are prepared. Have fun and you should put a couple of posts on here so I can follow all of you. I'm a friend of Katherine and her family from years ago, not a crazy stalker. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter